Join us for 6 in-person days or 12 webinars where you’ll start from scratch and learn how to uncover the metaphors and patterns that are beneath the surface. Find out how to develop a person’s metaphor landscape and to encourage the conditions needed for deep and lasting change.
A key principle of Clean Language is that you do less, and your client achieves more. Its basic structure is a set of clean questions, and you will begin by learning these questions and how to ask them. You will find out how to unlock the power of metaphor and you’ll learn firsthand why it’s been described as a doorway to the unconscious mind. You will soon be able to guide others to access and delight in their own inner wisdom. And you will experience the intense satisfaction of being on the receiving end of such guidance.
As we go along, you will build on these basic skills by learning how to use Clean Language to work with clients’ desired outcomes. You will learn how to: steer their attention towards what they want; help them navigate their ‘metaphor landscape’; recognise changes that will happen before your eyes; and move your client towards his or her desired conclusion. And you will experience the power of this clean approach for yourself as your fellow participants work with you towards your own desired outcomes.
We take a step-by-step approach to teaching Clean Language and Symbolic Modelling, with lots of practice, experiences and demonstrations for you to learn from. There will be plenty of time for your questions and you’ll receive a full colour workbook to support your learning. Plus you’ll meet other interesting, inspiring people doing great work in different fields - members of the global Clean Language community. You’ll also have multiple opportunities between modules to practise your skills with your fellow participants.
Clean Language is a simple methodology for understanding the complexity of human beings. Every client is unique so you will always be learning. And that can be infinitely worthwhile and rewarding.
This course is suitable for:
- Coaches, counsellors, psychotherapists and psychologists
- Therapists and health workers
- Managers and directors from all sectors - private, public and third
- HR professionals, team leaders and mentors
- NLP Practitioners
- Salespeople. mediators and negotiators
- Students of modalities such as Motivational Interviewing, Appreciative Inquiry, Servant Leadership, Solution-Focus Coaching/Therapy or Non-Violent Communication
- Teachers, parents, social workers, youth workers, family therapists and others who work with children
- Interviewers and researchers - or anyone who uses questioning techniques in their work
- Visual recorders / facilitators
- Independent thinkers
- Anyone who wants to improve their ability to communicate well
- Anyone whose role involves helping other people to think
- Leaders who prefer to empower people rather than telling them what to do
- People who are future-oriented, outcome focussed and fascinated by what makes themselves and others tick
- People who enjoy learning new tools and different ways of thinking
You will gain:
- The Clean Language questions and how to ask them for maximum impact
- A way to help people feel understood and to gain new perspectives
- Awareness of the assumptions you’re making a split second after someone speaks - and how to keep them to yourself so you can work with clients’ actual experiences
- The principles of Clean Language and how to apply them in many different contexts
- How to help someone to uncover the structure of their own thinking by developing the metaphors they use to express themselves
- How to identify and work with a client’s desired outcomes and encourage the conditions for change to emerge naturally within their ‘metaphor landscape’.
- Strategies for where to direct your client’s attention at different stages of the facilitation process
- A greater understanding of the role that language, especially metaphor, plays in our lives, and how you can utilise that to create deep sustainable change
You will also gain masses of personal development as you learn more about your own patterns, mental models and desired outcomes.
Frequently asked questions
What is Symbolic Modelling?
Symbolic Modelling was created by Penny Tompkins and James Lawley when they worked with and observed David Grove over several years, to discover what he was doing to achieve his phenomenal results. They combined David’s ideas with ideas from the fields of cognitive linguistics, systems thinking and NLP to produce a model which could be taught to others to enable them to achieve the same kinds of results as David.
What is Clean Language?
Clean Language is a simple set of questions developed by counselling psychologist David Grove. These questions are used with a person's own words to direct their attention to some aspect of their own experience. Asking these questions in the right context often results in an interesting new insight or the recognition of some new possibility. And if that new possibility is then questioned using Clean Language, the result can be quite profound. Clean questions invite people to consider their experience from different perspectives and they are often surprised by their own capacity to generate new, powerful and useful ideas about their own experience.
What participants say
"I was looking for something more powerful than coaching or NLP - and I have found it. The insights my clients get are a lot stronger and a lot more 'pure' than with normal coaching."
Jordan Collier Coach
"The training was effective, applicable in many situations, and fascinating. It was carefully scheduled and well organised, yet allowed plenty of time for questions and sharing. As for content, I particularly appreciated learning: the consistent use of the client's positive outcome as a guide for how to proceed; how to stay aware of my assumptions about a client's metaphors; and the skilful use of language to honor and acknowledge the client's perspective."
Lynn Reer Teacher Trainer
"One of the best training courses I have attended in over 30 years. Marian and Stuart are highly perceptive trainers and introduced a wide mix of activities to embed our learning. Simply inspirational!"
Gill Rudge HR Consultant
"One of the best training events I have ever attended - the energy and pace were superb, we worked hard and it was so very rewarding on several levels."
Viv Bolton Executive Coach
"The training was well-constructed; gently and cleanly facilitated; and offered thought-provoking and enriching content. There was a stimulating and diverse mix of participants and the trainers were evidently passionate about their subject. It was a hugely worthwhile investment in my personal and professional development. The philosophy and techniques of clean are immediately relevant to my executive coaching practice and already my conversations with my teenage sons are calmer! I strongly recommend Clean Learning for the integrity and depth of their approach."
Mary Musselbrook Executive Coach
"I travelled from the States to England to train in Clean Language and Symbolic Modelling with Clean Learning. It is a brilliant paradigm which will enable me to work more effectively with my psychotherapy clients. I enthusiastically endorse the training from Clean Learning."
Barbara Rosen Psychotherapist
"If you want to improve your coaching skills or add more resources to your coaching tool box, Clean Language is the perfect solution. Using the tool box metaphor I would define it as the perfect ‘adjustable spanner’ that can add an extra dimension to your skill base. In addition, the teaching on "Core Skills" is dedicated and client centered. If you are involved in any ‘one to one’ healing work, then Clean Language can help you to help your clients. "
"Learning about clean and how to apply the techniques to every aspect of my life has been enlightening and I cannot say thank you enough!"
"The structure of the course mirrors the structure of Clean Language, so not only do learners gain knowledge of clean, they practice it within the overall structure which reinforces it unconsciously. "
"I went on the Core Skills course because I wanted to learn a new skill. I left with a commitment to learning more and to creating the balanced portfolio career of my dreams. Thanks guys!"
Nick Simmonds Coach, Dynamic Coaching Ltd.
12 webinars June 23, 30; July 7, 14, 21; August 11; September 1, 15, 22, 29; October 6, 13 (4-6.30pm UK time)
With Marian Way
2nd-4th November & 30th November-2nd December 2020 10.00am - 5.30pm
With Marian Way