Clean Language: Core Skills
Thursdays, 11 April to 30 May, 2024, 9am to 1pm BST each day
Price: £950.00 (£1140 inc VAT)
Community price: £850.00
(£1020 inc VAT)
If, for any reason you need to pay the community price, please just go ahead and choose it here.
All event bookings are subject to our terms of sale.
The training will take place on Thursdays, 9am to 1pm BST:
- April 11
- April 18
- April 25
- May 2
- May 9
- May 16
- May 23
- May 30
There are also practice opportunities on Tuesdays and Saturdays throughout this time:
- Tuesdays 9am and 4pm
- Saturdays 8am and 3pm
The price of £950 represents a £200 reduction on our normal fee for this course. This is because it will be recorded and we will be asking your permission to use some of the footage in a subsequent recorded version of this training. (This may well be the last time Marian runs this training in person.)
Join us for eight Zoom classes where you’ll start from scratch and learn how to uncover the metaphors and patterns that are beneath the surface. Find out how to develop a person’s metaphor landscape and to encourage the conditions needed for deep and lasting change.
A key principle of Clean Language is that you do less, and your client achieves more. Its basic structure is a set of clean questions, and you will begin by learning these questions and how to ask them. You will find out how to unlock the power of metaphor and you’ll learn firsthand why it’s been described as a doorway to the unconscious mind. You will soon be able to guide others to access and delight in their own inner wisdom. And you will experience the intense satisfaction of being on the receiving end of such guidance.
As we go along, you will build on these basic skills by learning how to use Clean Language to work with clients’ desired outcomes. You will learn how to: steer their attention towards what they want; help them navigate their ‘metaphor landscape’; recognise changes that will happen before your eyes; and move your client towards his or her desired conclusion. And you will experience the power of this clean approach for yourself as your fellow participants work with you towards your own desired outcomes.
We take a step-by-step approach to teaching Clean Language and Symbolic Modelling, with lots of practice, experiences and demonstrations for you to learn from. There will be plenty of time for your questions and you'll also have access to an online manual and a community space just for your group. Plus you’ll meet other interesting, inspiring people doing great work in different fields - members of the global Clean Language community. You’ll also have multiple opportunities between modules to practise your skills with your fellow participants.
Clean Language is a simple methodology for understanding the complexity of human beings. Every client is unique so you will always be learning. And that can be infinitely worthwhile and rewarding.
Who is it for?
- Coaches, counsellors, psychotherapists and psychologists
- Therapists and health workers
- Managers and directors from all sectors - private, public and third
- HR professionals, team leaders and mentors
- NLP Practitioners
- Salespeople. mediators and negotiators
- Students of modalities such as Motivational Interviewing, Appreciative Inquiry, Servant Leadership, Solution-Focus Coaching/Therapy or Non-Violent Communication
- Teachers, parents, social workers, youth workers, family therapists and others who work with children
- Interviewers and researchers - or anyone who uses questioning techniques in their work
- Visual recorders / facilitators
- Independent thinkers
- Anyone who wants to improve their ability to communicate well
- Anyone whose role involves helping other people to think
- Leaders who prefer to empower people rather than telling them what to do
- People who are future-oriented, outcome focussed and fascinated by what makes themselves and others tick
- People who enjoy learning new tools and different ways of thinking
What will I gain?
- The Clean Language questions and how to ask them for maximum impact
- A way to help people feel understood and to gain new perspectives
- Awareness of the assumptions you’re making a split second after someone speaks - and how to keep them to yourself so you can work with clients’ actual experiences
- The principles of Clean Language and how to apply them in many different contexts
- How to help someone to uncover the structure of their own thinking by developing the metaphors they use to express themselves
- How to identify and work with a client’s desired outcomes and encourage the conditions for change to emerge naturally within their ‘metaphor landscape’.
- Strategies for where to direct your client’s attention at different stages of the facilitation process
- A greater understanding of the role that language, especially metaphor, plays in our lives, and how you can utilise that to create deep sustainable change
You will also gain masses of personal development as you learn more about your own patterns, mental models and desired outcomes.
Marian loves designing courses, leading them, writing, coaching and group facilitation. She is the author of Clean Approaches for Coaches and co-author of Insights in Space and So you want to be ... #DramaFree.
Online via Zoom
Thank you for the brilliant learning experience. I am in awe of how you weave structure and spontaneity (focusing on the topic as and when the question or relevant situation emerges) seamlessly throughout the course. I figured, for me, that’s how a clean facilitator works with a client, having the strategy and structure and holding them loosely, and spontaneously updating and adjusting to what emerges from the client in the moment.Kyoko Kusama, Executive Coach
I thoroughly enjoyed and felt fascinated and stretched and stimulated by learning Clean Language. I need more practice but am already using bits of it in psychotherapy to good effect. Amazing. As an educator I have also learned heaps about effective training; I had forgotten what it is like to be a learner in a group. Marian facilitates so well.Mary McIntyre, psychotherapist
The structure of the course mirrors the structure of Clean Language, so not only do learners gain knowledge of clean, they practice it within the overall structure which reinforces it unconsciously.Ian Crawford