Join us for 6 in-person days or 12 webinars where you’ll start from scratch and learn how to uncover the metaphors and patterns that are beneath the surface. Find out how to develop a person’s metaphor landscape and to encourage the conditions needed for deep and lasting change.
Training: Jun 23, 30; Jul 7, 14, 21; Aug 11; Sep 1, 15, 22, 29; Oct 6, 13 (4-6.30pm UK time)
Peer practice: Jun 25, 30; Jul 2, 9, 16, 23; Aug 13; Sep 3, 17, 24, Oct 1, 8, 15 (4-5.30pm UK time)
A highly skilled facilitator and trainer, Marian, who founded Clean Learning in 2001, has developed and delivered training across the world. She is the author of Clean Approaches for Coaches and co-author, with James Lawley, of Insights in Space.
A key principle of Clean Language is that you do less, and your client achieves more. Its basic structure is a set of clean questions, and you will begin by learning these questions and how to ask them. You will find out how to unlock the power of metaphor and you’ll learn firsthand why it’s been described as a doorway to the unconscious mind. You will soon be able to guide others to access and delight in their own inner wisdom. And you will experience the intense satisfaction of being on the receiving end of such guidance.
As we go along, you will build on these basic skills by learning how to use Clean Language to work with clients’ desired outcomes. You will learn how to: steer their attention towards what they want; help them navigate their ‘metaphor landscape’; recognise changes that will happen before your eyes; and move your client towards his or her desired conclusion. And you will experience the power of this clean approach for yourself as your fellow participants work with you towards your own desired outcomes.
We take a step-by-step approach to teaching Clean Language and Symbolic Modelling, with lots of practice, experiences and demonstrations for you to learn from. There will be plenty of time for your questions and you’ll receive a full colour workbook to support your learning. Plus you’ll meet other interesting, inspiring people doing great work in different fields - members of the global Clean Language community. You’ll also have multiple opportunities between modules to practise your skills with your fellow participants.
Clean Language is a simple methodology for understanding the complexity of human beings. Every client is unique so you will always be learning. And that can be infinitely worthwhile and rewarding.
This course is suitable for:
- Coaches, counsellors, psychotherapists and psychologists
- Therapists and health workers
- Managers and directors from all sectors - private, public and third
- HR professionals, team leaders and mentors
- NLP Practitioners
- Salespeople. mediators and negotiators
- Students of modalities such as Motivational Interviewing, Appreciative Inquiry, Servant Leadership, Solution-Focus Coaching/Therapy or Non-Violent Communication
- Teachers, parents, social workers, youth workers, family therapists and others who work with children
- Interviewers and researchers - or anyone who uses questioning techniques in their work
- Visual recorders / facilitators
- Independent thinkers
- Anyone who wants to improve their ability to communicate well
- Anyone whose role involves helping other people to think
- Leaders who prefer to empower people rather than telling them what to do
- People who are future-oriented, outcome focussed and fascinated by what makes themselves and others tick
- People who enjoy learning new tools and different ways of thinking
You will gain:
- The Clean Language questions and how to ask them for maximum impact
- A way to help people feel understood and to gain new perspectives
- Awareness of the assumptions you’re making a split second after someone speaks - and how to keep them to yourself so you can work with clients’ actual experiences
- The principles of Clean Language and how to apply them in many different contexts
- How to help someone to uncover the structure of their own thinking by developing the metaphors they use to express themselves
- How to identify and work with a client’s desired outcomes and encourage the conditions for change to emerge naturally within their ‘metaphor landscape’.
- Strategies for where to direct your client’s attention at different stages of the facilitation process
- A greater understanding of the role that language, especially metaphor, plays in our lives, and how you can utilise that to create deep sustainable change
You will also gain masses of personal development as you learn more about your own patterns, mental models and desired outcomes.
Frequently asked questions
What is Symbolic Modelling?
Symbolic Modelling was created by Penny Tompkins and James Lawley when they worked with and observed David Grove over several years, to discover what he was doing to achieve his phenomenal results. They combined David’s ideas with ideas from the fields of cognitive linguistics, systems thinking and NLP to produce a model which could be taught to others to enable them to achieve the same kinds of results as David.
What is Clean Language?
Clean Language is a simple set of questions developed by counselling psychologist David Grove. These questions are used with a person's own words to direct their attention to some aspect of their own experience. Asking these questions in the right context often results in an interesting new insight or the recognition of some new possibility. And if that new possibility is then questioned using Clean Language, the result can be quite profound. Clean questions invite people to consider their experience from different perspectives and they are often surprised by their own capacity to generate new, powerful and useful ideas about their own experience.