you have experienced Systemic Modelling as a participant (on our Clean For Teams workshop
or equivalent) and are ready to learn how to run the process yourself, you can
join this continuous learning programme, leading to Systemic Modelling Level 1
certification. This will give you a complete framework and an abundant toolbox for
encouraging teams to move from contempt towards curiosity and collaboration.
And as we use the process to teach the process, you will be experiencing
multi-level and collaborative learning at its best.
This event is one module of the Rolling Programme and is being organised by Tilman Rentel. You can join it as part of the Rolling Programme (other modules are in UK) or as a stand-alone event. You can download the flyer and booking form just for this module here: Microsoft_Word_-_Flyer_Clean_in_Teams_2019.docx.pdf If you are interested in joining the Rolling Programme please email Karrie Shield.
A highly skilled facilitator and trainer, Marian, who founded Clean Learning in 2001, has developed and delivered training across the world. She is the author of Clean Approaches for Coaches and co-author, with James Lawley, of Insights in Space.
Caitlin is a director of Clean Learning and the developer of Systemic Modelling™. She is the author of From Contempt to Curiosity, which details many of the innovative and transformational projects she's led across our community...
Who's it for?
This programme is for you if you are:
- A change manager, HR professional, trainer or teacher working within an organisation
- An independent coach, consultant or facilitator who works, or wants to work, with groups
- A Clean Facilitator who currently works with individuals and want to extend your clean skills so you can work effectively with groups
- A leader or senior member of any kind of group, team or organisation
- Anyone interested in how change can happen in groups
- Fascinated by what makes groups tick, interested in detecting patterns in yourself and others and open to learning from feedback
- Someone who believes that change starts with yourself
- Looking for group-facilitation or teaching methods that will:
Reduce conflict or bullying and create a culture of collaboration
- Create a learning culture that honours and utilises diversity
- Support a culture of self management and empowered working within a team
- Develop shared metaphors for visions, values, projects – anything that matters to the group
- Get away from drama situations and hidden agendas and encourage outcomes, actions and feedback
- Help people move from contempt to curiosity to collaboration
… and that can be adapted to suit any context.
What will I gain?
- The Systemic Modelling framework, models and tools and how to run them effectively
- The ability to pay attention to language and behaviours at an individual and group level and to be able to utilise what happens in a group to help them to achieve their desired outcomes
- More information about your own patterns of thinking, behaviour, attitude and identity and how these relate to other people's patterns
- An understanding of the role that language, especially metaphor, plays in group thinking, and how you can utilise that to create deep sustainable change
- The ability to detect when drama is happening within a group and the skills you need to unpack the drama and move beyond it
- The opportunity to be part of a supportive peer group, where everyone is working together to master the art of Systemic Modelling
- Continuous professional development as you get feedback on your work and use that to develop unique tasks that help you grow into your role as a group facilitator
- A programme manual that will take you, step by step, through the learning process – with space for you to record examples and note achievements – as you work towards your Systemic Modelling Level 1 certificate.
This is a rolling programme of training in Systemic Modelling
along with coaching and feedback designed to move you from novice to mastery. Regular
in-depth and intensive training will enable you to develop competency in applying
the principles that underpin Systemic Modelling. You will learn how to use
clean questions and metaphor models to support a group to better understand one
another and to develop the skills and capability they need to collaborate
You may join in one 3-day module at a time, or commit to attending
a number of modules over the next two years. Joining in on a long-term basis will
enable you to explore the process more deeply, including the philosophy behind
it and the skills required to deliver it well. There’ll be skill-building
exercises to stretch your attention and to develop your confidence and
in-the-moment coaching to ensure you’re competent in the process. You’ll be
delivering group processes live to participants and you’ll be offering and
receiving feedback from trainers and peers. Between modules, you’ll be expected
to find groups of your own to practice with. This programme is fun, full-on and
The models and skills that make up Systemic Modelling include:
clean questions; developing personal metaphors; group modelling; Metaphors at
Work; moving from drama to the ‘karma cycle’; pattern detection, tracking
patterns in the group dynamic; developing your personal modelling state. There’ll
also be plenty of opportunity for discussion about applications and how you’ll
put your learning into action.
There is a continuous
assessment process, with a number of assignments that will require you to
collect and act on feedback from the trainer, your fellow participants and any
other recipients of your skills. You can start this process whenever you wish
and when we are confident in your ability to deliver the models consistently
and effectively, you will be awarded your Systemic Modelling Level 1
To join this programme, you must have experienced the process as
a participant (via Clean For Teams or equivalent, e.g. if we have run a similar programme in
You will also find it helpful to have read From Contempt to Curiosity: Creating the Conditions for Groups to Collaborate using Clean Language and Systemic Modelling by Caitlin Walker. This
book, which details how Systemic Modelling came into being, contains numerous
stories which illustrate how it can be used, along with information about all
the models that will be taught on this programme.
Frequently asked questions
What is Systemic Modelling™?
Systemic Modelling™ is an approach for supporting groups to use clean questions and metaphor models to better understand one another and to develop the skills and capability to collaborate meaningfully.
What people say
"Systemic Modelling has been a real eye-opener for me, to see the levels that feedback can be taken to. Your ability, as coaches, to be precise, warm, constructive, observant & honest, along with your cooperation, which seemed completely relaxed & open, created lots of safety for me &, I think, for the group. You took our needs & wishes into consideration whilst keeping us moving forward & covering the materials. The clarity of your communication & the lightness of your tone, makes the work seem light even when it feels hard."
"This course has given me fabulous strategies and the confidence to help teams be more effective. Systemic Modelling enables teams to get to the real issues of why they aren't working as well and to create their own solutions. A must for facilitators, coaches and trainers working with teams."
Denise Chilton Coach
"This course was highly enjoyable and I took away a bunch of tools and techniques to support the work I do as a systems coach. Caitlin was really flexible through the programme working hard to meet the needs of everyone and I felt privileged to have learnt from someone who is clearly exceptional in their field. The course was made doubly enjoyable by the very relaxed atmosphere – held in the informal surroundings of Caitlin’s home 'The Practice' with wonderful healthy food cooked by husband Shaun.
"I’m a reasonably experienced business coach with some high profile clients, and with the tools I had at my disposal prior to Clean I was successful and my clients got good results. However, I’ve started using Clean very quickly after the programme and it’s taken my coaching and results onto another level.
Michael O' Flaherty